7th Tradition – contribute online
Please contribute using the button below.
- This secure PayPal facility allows AA members to practice AA’s 7th tradition online.
- You can pay using your personal PayPal account. You can also opt to pay by credit card.
- Transactions are fully encrypted and protected by PayPal’s secure online payment system.
- You can specify in the “Notes” field that your contribution go to one specific Paris AA Group. Otherwise contributions will go to AA Paris English-speaking Intergroup, which acts on behalf of the English-speaking Paris AA Groups to carry the AA message of recovery.
- AA’s 7th Tradition states “Every AA Group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions”.
- The “hat” is passed at AA meetings to support the AA Group. AA Groups in turn support their AA Intergroup, Regions and AA as a whole.
- During the confinement decreed by the French government to curb the Covid-19 epidemic, all physical meetings have been cancelled.
- Many of Paris’ English-speaking AA Groups are holding meetings online, which has allowed the Groups to continue their work of carrying the AA message of recovery.
- To allow the 7th Tradition be observed in the absence of physical meetings, the AA Paris English-speaking Intergroup has voted to set up a secure PayPal payment system to process contributions online.
Terms and conditions
Terms and Conditions:
- Contributions can be accepted only from members of Alcoholics Anonymous.
- By making this contribution you certify that you are a member of AA. According to AA’s third tradition, the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership, we are self supporting through our own contributions.
- You also acknowledge that the annual donation limit from individuals to AA is $3000.
- Terms and conditions of the PayPal platform apply. Details are available on the payment page or at https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full
- For more details, see the section below: “How will this online payment facility be managed?”
Why collect contributions online?
Practicing AA’s 7th Tradition for online meetings
Observing AA’s 7th Tradition is a spiritual gesture that remains meaningful in an online setting. To honor AA’s tradition of being self-supporting, AA Groups and AA as a whole depend solely on members’ contributions to fulfill their primary purpose of carrying the AA message to the alcoholic who still suffers. This is especially crucial during the Covid-19 crisis, when the need for connection and for AA’s message of recovery is great.
English-speaking AA groups in Paris depend on contributions:
- To cover the expenses for refreshments, literature and other supplies that will arise as soon as physical meetings resume.
- To pay rent or other expenses for some or all of the period of the confinement, as may be called for according to each Group’s situation, and as may be decided by group conscience.
- To contribute to AA Paris English-speaking Intergroup.
AA Paris English-speaking Intergroup depends on contributions:
- To pay for the Zoom accounts that allow Paris meetings to be held online.
- To pay for our websites – more important than ever to carry the AA message.
- To pay for the telephone helpline providing information for newcomers.
- To contribute to our AA Regions.
Our AA Regions and AA World Services depend on contributions:
- To continue to carry the AA message in France, Europe and worldwide.
How will this online payment facility be managed?
- Only contributions from AA members will be accepted. Any outside contributions will be declined.
- AA Paris English-speaking Intergroup will be responsible for the online contribution system, on behalf of the AA Groups it serves.
- A trusted servant will be designated with the specific responsibility of managing the online payment system on behalf of Intergroup and the Groups it serves.
- A second trusted servant will be designated to oversee this management.
- Both servants will be accountable to AA Paris English-speaking Intergroup on behalf of the AA Groups it serves.
- All contributions will be treated anonymously by the facility’s managers, in keeping with AA’s 12th Tradition: “Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions”. Any names, addresses, email addresses or other data forwarded by the PayPal payment system will be handled in the strictest anonymity.
- No personal information will be shared with any third parties.
- For information on how PayPal manages personal data, please see https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-full#dataCollect
- Contributions earmarked in the “Notes” field for a specific English-speaking Paris AA Group will be collected and forwarded to the treasurer of this Group, to be used by each Group according to the group conscience.
- Unless a specific English-speaking Paris AA Group is designated in the “Notes” field, contributions will be collected and forwarded to the treasurer of AA Paris English-speaking These contributions will be used to fund Intergroup’s activities on behalf of the English-speaking Paris AA Groups, as decided by Intergroup, and in accordance with the 12 Traditions of AA and AA’s 12 Concepts for World Service.
- Each Paris English-speaking AA Group decides whether the Group wishes to participate in this online contribution system. If the Group so decides, it can participate by giving out the details for the online payment system during its online meetings, to allow members to make 7th-tradition contributions online.
- The system has been set up for the period of the Covid-19 confinement in France. At the end of this period, Intergroup and each Group will re-evaluate their needs going forward.
- For more details please email firstname.lastname@example.org
“There was a place in AA where spirituality and money would mix, and that was in the hat!”
-12 Steps and 12 Traditions, p. 163